Thursday, April 17, 2014

QUIZ, Gatsby 4-6; Harlem Renaissance poetry

Quiz, The Great Gatsby Chapters 4-6.



English 11—Harlem Renaissance Poetry Analysis
You may work with a partner to complete this assignment.  Turn in your work at the end of the hour.
Read the introduction to the Harlem Renaissance on pp. 816-7.  Follow this up by reading the five poems beginning on p. 819 by Countee Cullen and  Langston Hughes. 

1.      Explain where Cullen and Hughes have each included issues or topics unique to African Americans in the 1920s.  Sample issues/topics to look for:
a.      Racism
b.      African American culture (jazz music, traditional African American religious hymns, Biblical stories, famous African Americans)
c.       African American history, especially slavery
d.      City life

2.      For three of the five poems, find examples of the following poetic techniques.  The more examples you can find, the better.
a.      Alliteration
b.      Rhyme scheme or internal rhyme
c.       Repetition
d.      Symbolism or imagery
e.      Figures of speech (simile, metaphor, personification, onomatopoeia)

3.      Read “I Hear America Singing” on p. 364 of the textbook.  Look at “I, Too” below.  Explain what Hughes is saying in his response to Whitman.
I, Too   by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--


I, too, am America.

No comments:

Post a Comment